The Parks Church takes seriously the calling to reach the nations with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Since our launch our church has partnered with Naomi’s Village. We sent our first short-term team to Kenya during the summer of 2015. Since that time we have sent two more teams to Kenya to assist in advancing the ministry of our friends at Naomi’s Village. Naomi’s Village is a children’s home in Maai Mahiu, Kenya that provides complete care for total orphans. They have rescued over 65 children, including abandoned babies and those left parentless by terrorist attacks, AIDS, disasters, and domestic violence, and are raising them in a loving home to be productive leaders in their community.
Cornerstone Preparatory Academy is a state-of-the-art elementary school started by Naomi’s Village to serve their children as well as impoverished children in the area. The school will eventually enroll over 500 students in grades K-8. They strive to provide a first world education to every student, regardless of their socioeconomic status.
Updates on our family and ministry:
• Our family is currently in the US visiting family and preparing to take Will to NYC to start at Columbia Univ. in late August. We appreciate your prayers concerning our Fall schedule and whether we should be in the US or in Kenya. Bob and I have decided that we will split our time between Kenya and the US.
• Our schedule:
Present – Sept. 11: US – primarily visiting family (more info regarding our parents’ health below) and getting Will settled into college.
Sept. 12 – Oct. 10: Kenya
Oct. 11 – approx. Nov. 20: US – primarily for end-of-year fundraising for Naomi’s Village/Cornerstone
• Emily returns to Stanford on Sept. 3rd for Resident Assistant training, as she will work as an RA in a Freshman Dorm on campus.
• We will all go with Will to NYC on Aug. 24th to enjoy a couple of days in the city before he moves into his dorm and starts New Student Orientation on aug. 27th.
• We brought home to Naomi’s Village a 5-year old little boy in late June with left hip dysplasia, bringing our total to 81 children!
• In mid-July we celebrated the beginning of construction of a multi-purpose center/ gymnasium at Cornerstone with a ground-breaking ceremony.
• Our children and staff at NV and Cornerstone have led peace rallies in our part of the country prior to the presidential elections (Aug 8)
• We will open a 4-year old Preschool in mid-September to be located on-site at Naomi’s Village. The preschool will be for both NV children and community children who will all then move on to Kindergarten at Cornerstone. This is one of the reasons we are going back to Kenya in September so we can assist with the opening of the preschool.
• Presidential elections in Kenya, which happen every 5 years, are today, Tuesday, Aug. 8th. It has been peaceful and calm on the day of the voting, but there is concern of violence erupting when the results are announced. The results are likely to be announced on the 9th or 10th. As many of you know, the horrific events that followed the 2007 election left over 1,000 dead and over 300,000 displaced. Pray for peace in Kenya.
• Bob’s father, who is 88 years old and lives in Florida, is moving to an independent living community in Kingwood, TX this week. Bob’s sister lives in Kingwood and is looking forward to having their father nearby. But, the transition has caused stress among some of the siblings and is, of course, stressful for Bob’s dad. Pray for Bob’s dad, Gene, and for Bob and his siblings as they help their father with this life-change.
• Julie’s mom, who is 78 and lives in McKinney, has dementia and is not independent in her care. Pray for Julie’s mom Nancy and for Julie’s sister Amy, who is the primary caregiver for her mother.
• Pray for Will as he prepares for college and for his transition to college, life in the US, and being separated from family. Pray that God gives him godly friends and a vibrant Christian community.
• Pray for Emily as she begins her junior year, that God will give her His wisdom and compassion as an RA who has the opportunity to guide and care for the new freshmen in her dorm.
• Pray for the preschool and the children who will join us in September.
• When we flew out of Kenya in late July, crops were growing, and, although there were never long, sustained rains, there was enough rain for people in our area to grow maize and beans.
• God continues to bring in new sponsors for both our NV and Cornerstone children. We still have children who are not fully funded, so continue to ask God for more sponsors.
• Summer team season has concluded at NV and was a wonderful time for all!